World Oceans Day

Why We Really Need World Oceans Day 2017


World Ocean - Blog Header (2)


It’s World Oceans Day.

With the US on its belligerent way out of the Paris agreement, this year’s World Oceans Day is more important than ever.


What Is It All About?


World Oceans DayBlog Banner (4)


Since 1992, World Oceans Day has been celebrated every June 8th

It aims to help promote the protection and conservation of the world’s oceans. The oceans give us so much for life – oxygen, climate regulation, food sources, medicine, and more, and there’s no argument its under threat.

World Oceans Day also provides a unique opportunity to take personal and community action to conserve the ocean and its resources.

The theme for 2017 is “Our Oceans, Our Future”. The focus is on promoting solutions to plastic pollution and trying to reduce and prevent the levels of marine litter destroying the delicate eco-systems of the world’s oceans.

As well as running alongside major conference events, like the Ocean Conference taking place from 5 to 9 June in New York, World Oceans Day encourages and supports hundreds of community events, education, youth projects and ocean and beach clean-up projects all over the world.

The day puts the spotlight on the policy makers, governments and academics, and on the citizens of the world fighting against the tide of ocean pollution and damage.


The Plastic Disaster.


World Ocean Day - Blog Banner (5)


Our oceans are awash with 5.25 trillion particles of discarded plastic

Enough plastic is thrown away each year to circle the Earth four times. Four Times!! PER YEAR!!

Plastics act as a “chemical sponge”, meaning it absorbs pollutants which are toxic for sea animals.

94% of life on earth is found in the ocean. 94%! That’s a huge part of our entire eco-system. Its destruction would be disastrous, not just for the seas, but for the other 6% of us here on land.

Pollution extremely dangerous to sea animals, but is also poisoning our food chain. Toxic for us too.

Why World Oceans Day?


World Ocean Day - Blog Banner (6)


The United Nations say the aim is:

To remind everyone of the major role the oceans have in everyday life. They are the lungs of our planet, providing most of the oxygen we breathe.

To inform the public of the impact of human actions on the ocean.

To develop a worldwide movement of citizens for the ocean.

To mobilize and unite the world’s population on a project for the sustainable management of the world’s oceans. They are a major source of food and medicines and a critical part of the biosphere.

To celebrate together the beauty, the wealth and the promise of the ocean.


Be involved as little or as much as you like, but if you do one thing like and share this day – for the future of our magnificent oceans.
Go to, find out more, Like and Share

Five Ways The Oceans Calls To Us

Subscribe to our newsletter
* indicates required
I have read and agree to website Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. connects buyers and sellers of natural and organic products. Essentially, the good stuff is right here.

© 2020 Organics Marketplace -
Website developed by Fly Full Circle